[vorbis] The Hour of Slack (vorbis encoded)

Robert Jessop robertjessop at f2s.com
Thu Nov 6 09:47:37 PST 2003

>>Can anyone tell me:
>>How do you make vorbis files streamable from a regular web server? Is there
>>some way to create a meta-file that when linked will launch the user's
>>player and *stream* the file (as with MP3) instead of requiring them to
>>download the entire file before playing? I've tried doing this with *.m3u &
>>*.pls files with no success. Do I really have to use an icecast server to do
>>this or is there some other way?

I can confirm that m3u and pls work in winamp. On your normal webserver
you just need the ogg file and a m3u or pls file that references it.
I've done it on my site: http://www.robertjessop.f2s.com/surge/listen.shtml
In most browsers files are fully downloaded before being openned in the
registered application. So to get it to stream you give them a playlist
to download, which then opens in their player, which then streams your ogg.

I don't know the exact symptoms of your problem but it could be a couple
of things:

1. The most likely reason they didn't work for you is your player isn't
set up to handle m3u or pls. Check your file associations.

2. Your player might not be capable of streaming Ogg (I don't think the
current filters for windows media or real player are). Try a Winamp 2.91
or XMMS.

3. If you just get text when clicking a m3u or pls link on your web
server you probably need to add the mime-types to your server settings.
I believe the mime types are audio/x-mpegurl for m3u and audio/x-scpls
for pls.

Robert Jessop