[vorbis] The Hour of Slack (vorbis encoded)

Ralph Giles giles at xiph.org
Thu Nov 6 05:16:55 PST 2003

On Thu, Nov 06, 2003 at 06:42:19AM -0500, David Bachner wrote:

> Can anyone tell me:
> How do you make vorbis files streamable from a regular web server? Is there
> some way to create a meta-file that when linked will launch the user's
> player and *stream* the file (as with MP3) instead of requiring them to
> download the entire file before playing? I've tried doing this with *.m3u &
> *.pls files with no success. Do I really have to use an icecast server to do
> this or is there some other way?

Both m3u and pls files work in xmms, and I believe in winamp as well.
This is the general solution to this problem. Ogg Vorbis streaming *is*
http streaming, so the only technical problem is getting the browser to
hand off the link target rather than the downloaded filename to the
helper application.

I guess I'd check that: your music player can play local .ogg files, and
that your web server is using the application/ogg mimetype for the
ogg files. I suppose it's possible the player is dispatching the
format based on the mimetype (which would be a step up from the old
method of using the filename extension) and the server is giving a
generic mimetype or the older application/x-ogg and the player only
works for application/ogg or application/x-ogg.

Of course you need icecast for live or continuous streaming, but it's
not necessary at all for streaming archived programmes.

HTH,
 -r