[vorbis] KPFA live vorbis stream

Andrew Burghardt ab0b at ab0b.net
Thu Nov 6 07:15:03 PST 2003

On Thursday 06 November 2003 02:17 am, David Bachner wrote:
> I just joined this list, so I'm not sure how many of you are already aware
> of this. KPFA is a 59,000 watt free speech community radio station in
> Berkeley, California that has been on the air since 1949. They were the
> first listener sponsored radio station in North America, paving the way for
> many other community stations across the U.S. and around the world. KPFA
> was one of first signals to appear on the FM dial in the San Francisco Bay
> area, and is the flagship station of the Pacifica network.
>
> Their vorbis stream has been available for about a month now. It's 32
> kbps/14 kHz stereo - perhaps not the best choice for optimal audio
> fidelity, but person responsible for establishing the vorbis stream wanted
> it to be accessable to dial-up modem users. Many of KPFA's listeners are
> political activists or people with generally low to moderate incomes.

Excellent! I've used their mp3 stream for a while, but had not seen the vorbis
stream until you mentioned it here. Really the only radio station I'll
willingly listen to in the Bay Area. Glad to have it :) You might also
consider posting to the BALUG list?

Cheers

PS: maybe 22kHz would sound better?

--