[vorbis] The Hour of Slack (vorbis encoded)

David Bachner bachner at ica.net
Thu Nov 6 03:42:19 PST 2003

For those who are interested, it's a weekly radio show produced by the
Church of the SubGenius, presenting the bewildering doctrine of
PatrioPsychoticAnarchoMaterialism, buried beneath a dizzying media barrage.
Hosted by Rev. Ivan Stang, official show archives maintained by yours truly.
Now offering 45k and 160k Ogg Vorbis files, listen in headphones:
http://www.subgenius.com/ts/hos.html

Actually, we've been including vorbis files (at various rates) for about a
year now. A few months ago, when storage capacity was really tight (a period
which lasted about 5 or 6 months), I settled on 64k vorbis for our only
hi-fi version of the show. I had very few complaints, most were from people
with portable mp3 players and Mac users disappointed they couldn't play
these files in iTunes.

Can anyone tell me:
How do you make vorbis files streamable from a regular web server? Is there
some way to create a meta-file that when linked will launch the user's
player and *stream* the file (as with MP3) instead of requiring them to
download the entire file before playing? I've tried doing this with *.m3u &
*.pls files with no success. Do I really have to use an icecast server to do
this or is there some other way?

db