[vorbis] Matroska as an alternative to Ogg (container)

Michael Smith msmith at labyrinth.net.au
Sun May 4 19:37:35 PDT 2003

Peter Schüller <peter.schuller at infidyne.com> said:

> http://www.matroska.org/
>
> I just found out about this and I think it looks like a great idea. I figured
> some on this list would be interested.
>
> Also, speaking now without having reviewed matroska in detail, nor being
> involved in Ogg/Vorbis:
>
> Perhaps it would be a viable alternative for the Ogg format for Theora if
> nothing else. I read about the .ogg format a while back, and while I have no
> complaints, it's considerably more limited in scope. Matroska support from the
> Ogg/Vorbis camp would probably help the project on its way too.

I suppose it would be viable, it would not be particularly useful, and would
in practice likely just fragment the user community and reduce the usefulness
of theora overall. The Ogg format is very much capable of supporting what we
want for a video/audio container. 'Matroska' would not help us in any way.

> Also, correct me if I'm wrong, it is my understanding that while 5.1 sound is
> theoretically supported, actual practical support is non-existent because
> there is no agreed-upon way to identify the channels. I'm guessing this is
> addressed by matroska.

Incorrect. The 5.1 channel mappings are clearly defined in the specification.

Mike