[vorbis] Re: Matroska as an alternative to Ogg (container)

ChristianHJW christian at matroska.org
Wed May 7 14:37:58 PDT 2003

Linus Walleij wrote:
> mån 2003-05-05 klockan 03.18 skrev Peter Schüller:
>>I just found out about this and I think it looks like a great idea. I figured
>>some on this list would be interested.
> Excellent idea, I saw Matroska ages ago. Good initiative. Now all you
> have to do is code up a proof-of-concept test codebase for us to play
> with so we can see if it works as well in practice as in theory. (And
> this is where 99.99% of the concept ideas submitted to this list stops
> short, friendly notice.)
> Linus

Its not my style to advertise our stuff on other MLs with 'similar'
goals as matroska, but please note we have ON2 VP3 ( VfW ) working with
several Vorbis audio streams in matroska since a couple of weeks now,
including DirectShow parser filter to play it on Windows platforms.

Dont know where you get the impression we had to make a
'proof-of-concept' first, the matroska file creation tools were tested
since many weeks and released to the public on May 1st, and this
includes a modified version of Virtualdub to create, preview and edit
matroska files. For Linux Moritz 'mosu' Bunkus has done a wonderful job,
his 'mkvmerger' tools are state-of-the-art, files created play fine on
Windows also, and the mplayer playback patch has made its way into
mplayer main CVS although libmatroska is C++ . All files were found to
be spec compliant, and users actually start using it to archive their
movies in matroska.

Of course, i know that Theora and ON2 VP3 are divergating and i seem to
recall Theora will not have a VfW API anymore ( which makes sense IMHO,
VfW suxx bad time for modern video codecs meanwhile ), but we will
certainly not implement Theora support into our encoding tools before
there is a new, opensource codec API to use and Theora supporting it. It
makes no sense to hardcode every single codec based on its own API into
a video encoding app if a plugin system can achieve almost the same
performance, and in a much more flexible and user friendly way. Maybe
the Theora codec API can become this long awaited open codec API
standard, we will examine it closely once it is released ...

About the original idea, to use matroska for Theora, thats of course
complete BS ( sorry ;) ). Ogg is a very good container for the codecs
that Xiph are using. Its a matter of consistency to use Ogg for all
upcoming Xiph codecs, and if only to be able to use the existing Ogg
streaming server solutions like icecast and shoutcast.

Regards

Christian