[vorbis] Vorbis Comment question

gtgbr at gmx.net gtgbr at gmx.net
Thu Mar 13 06:56:38 PST 2003

Beni Cherniavsky wrote:
> > > The "recommendations" are not regulations - they are agreements.
> > Agreements between Jonathan Walther and himself, mostly.
> And me too :-).  That's two (there are a lot more, of course).

Actually, tags like PERFORMER weren't in the Xiph standard before the
flamefest with Jonathan Walther. The Xiph standard is already an
agreement, and IMO a nice compromise between "keep it small" and the
extensive proposal by Jonathan.

> Indeed, many people complained about his style or running it.  Yet
> nobody forked it and published a different paper, nor made any
> sensible effort to run something like this in a better way, as they
> understand it.  Why?  Probably it's not nearly an ideal concensus but
> it's the best that was achieved.  Come and improve.

Apparently there's no broad interest in further extending the standard
tags, or even Jonathan's proposal. The ideal concensus is Xiph's current
standard. It's bigger than before - it really covers everything that
Vorbis tags were designed for (satisfying a vast majority of possible
uses), and it's slim enough for most people to actually remember what it
contains. Keep in mind that Vorbis tags are for humans - they are the
ones who write and read them.

I was one of those that were perfectly happy with the old Xiph standard,
so I'm strictly against further additions (unless a suggestion strikes
me as "wow! must have!" ... who knows. I haven't seen one, yet.) :)