[vorbis] Vorbis Comment question

Craig Dickson crdic at pacbell.net
Thu Mar 13 05:12:19 PST 2003

Beni Cherniavsky wrote:

> On 2003-03-13, Nemo - earth native wrote:
>
> > On Thu, Mar 13, 2003 at 03:17:36AM +0100, Tilo Renz did utter:
> >
> > > The original Page (http://www.xiph.org/ogg/vorbis/doc/v-comment.html)
> > > mentions only 14 Tags. I think this page should have/be a link to
> > > http://reactor-core.org/ogg-tag-recommendations.html , where all the 28
> > > Tags ar listed.
> >
> > No. As usefull as the ractor-core recommendations might be, I think
> > any linking to them from Xiph would legitimise it too much. Comments
> > strike me as something that shouldn't be regulated too much, but
> > kept fairly relaxed and informal.
>
> If Xiph wants they can put a link to "Ilegitimate but very throughly
> discussed comment guidelines" :).  They are no less relaxed and
> informal than Xiph's page, just more detailed - for anohter audience.
>
> The "recommendations" are not regulations - they are agreements.

Agreements between Jonathan Walther and himself, mostly. The
reactor-core paper is his, and it reflects what he wanted and what other
people managed to convince him to add, remove, or change. Even to call
it a set of "agreements" is an overstatement; the process by which these
"agreements" were reached was so grossly biased in Jonathan's favor that
it's an insult to the very concept of consensus to call them
"agreements" at all. It's his paper, so he had total control over it and
total freedom to do as he pleased; there was no notion of voting on
disputed issues, nor was majority or consensus approval even a part of
Jonathan's goals as far as I could tell.

> I don't see how a link from the official site would hurt anybody.

I agree with Tilo Renz: linking from xiph.org/vorbis.org to the
reactor-core paper would legitimize the latter far too much.

Craig