[vorbis] Vorbis Comment question

Beni Cherniavsky cben at techunix.technion.ac.il
Thu Mar 13 04:24:44 PST 2003

On 2003-03-13, Nemo - earth native wrote:

> On Thu, Mar 13, 2003 at 03:17:36AM +0100, Tilo Renz did utter:
>
> > The original Page (http://www.xiph.org/ogg/vorbis/doc/v-comment.html)
> > mentions only 14 Tags. I think this page should have/be a link to
> > http://reactor-core.org/ogg-tag-recommendations.html , where all the 28
> > Tags ar listed.
>
> No. As usefull as the ractor-core recommendations might be, I think
> any linking to them from Xiph would legitimise it too much. Comments
> strike me as something that shouldn't be regulated too much, but
> kept fairly relaxed and informal.

If Xiph wants they can put a link to "Ilegitimate but very throughly
discussed comment guidelines" :).  They are no less relaxed and
informal than Xiph's page, just more detailed - for anohter audience.

The "recommendations" are not regulations - they are agreements.
They were all discussed on the vorbis list, so all interested people
who said "we want this and *want* to agree on it" had a part.  Of
course, many people said "we don't need it" but none of them managed
to convince the interested ones "you don't need it".

> If you want GUESTARTIST, then use it. If you want other people to
> use it, then write your own ogg-tag-GUESTARTIST-recommendations.html
> and throw it online. It will have equal validity as the reactor-core
> page above.

Yet nobody did that - probably because it wouldn't have been discussed
by the so many people over so many inflamatory threads :-).  There was
no other effort of this scale - except perhaps for Xiph's minimalistic
guidelines which were also debated to death in these same threads...

I don't see how a link from the official site would hurt anybody.