[vorbis] Vorbis Comment question

Tilo Renz tilo.renz at student.uni-ulm.de
Wed Mar 12 18:17:36 PST 2003

Hauke Hachmann wrote:
> So, now after that lengthy discussion we all know the purpose of vorbis tags:
> free-form, per-track, textual information that is not to be parsed.
>
> Now let's go back to the initial question: Let's find out if there is a need
> to increase the number of standard tags from 28 to, say, 30. That's all.

The original Page (http://www.xiph.org/ogg/vorbis/doc/v-comment.html)
mentions only 14 Tags. I think this page should have/be a link to
http://reactor-core.org/ogg-tag-recommendations.html , where all the 28
Tags ar listed.

> And, just to start that process, I'd like to mention two possible candidates
> for such new fields. They are both strictly free-from, per-track and textual:
>
> GUESTARTIST
> The one that started all that discussion about general meta-blah. Not my
> favorite, but just to be mentioned here. Let's find out if there's really a
> public interest in such a field. As for me personally, I don't need it.
I myself don't need this field too.
Perhaps the PERFORMER-tag could be used for things like this. Multiple
Performer-Tags can do an even better job, like the following example
shows (This song is from a band called PVC, featuring Piers Headley and
Bela B.):
    ARTIST=PVC
    PERFORMER=PVC
    PERFORMER=Bela B. (Guest Artist)
    PERFORMER=Piers Headley (Base Guitar)
(The role of Bela B. is unknown.) If I know the names of the Band
members and their roles/instruments I could also list them instead of
the more general PERFORMER=PVC. Something like
    PERFORMER=Raymond Ebert (Band Member)
    PERFORMER=Knut Schaller (Band Member)
is also possible if I don't know what they played.

> ENCODED-BY
> This field should be filled with the name of the person or company or whoever
> encoded that file. I would really like to have such a field, as I experience
> to see this information very often stored in the COMMENT field so far. I
> think there are so many people and companies out there who want to leave
> their name in a file, that it is worth thinking about declaring such a
> standard field.
Encoded-by is an important thing because:
* the often used COMMENT field is the wrong place
* Rippers like CDex started to do really nasty things like placing a
   line "Encoded by CDex blah blah blah" in the comment-vector. This is
   no Key-Value-Pair and not according to the Specs! Such things should
   be avoided.
* All commercial CD-Rippers I know want to leave their signature.
* (Some) encoding People want to see their names in their files.

If we don't like an ENCODED-BY-Field we can use ENCODING
The Recommendation says: "Put the settings you used to encode the Ogg
file here. This tag is NOT expected to be stored or returned by cddb
type databases. It includes information about the quality setting, bit
rate, and bitrate management settings used to encode the Ogg. _It also
is used for information about which encoding software was used to do the
encoding_."
I can imagine ENCODING-Fields like this:
   ENCODING:Encoded by MasterRipper with his incredible OGG-Machine at
best quality (160kBit, VBR)

Personally I'd prefer the ENCODED-BY Tag.

Tilo