[vorbis] Vorbis Comment question

David K. Gasaway dave at gasaway.org
Wed Mar 5 20:44:04 PST 2003

On 6 Mar 2003 at 4:48, Segher Boessenkool wrote:

> > Do you truly feel there is a need for another format?
> Yes.

Please explain.

> The real reason is probably that it is a really hard problem.

Right, and if there was a great need (i.e., motivation was high), there
would be another metadata format despite this fact.

> More structure.  More data-types.  Much more formalism.
> Metadata on the metadata.

Why do you feel more formalism is necessary?

> > However, if practice shows they are also useful in a general metadata
> > role, then we've achieved something for nothing.
>
> No.

Are you saying, "No, they are not useful for general metadata in
practice", or "No, we have not achieved something for nothing"?  In
either case, please explain.

> Sure not.  As a quick note, it's fine.  For any other use,
> it's not.

Because of some underlying reason or only because v-comment says so?
Seriously.  If we can't define the reasons and motivations for creating
a new metadata format, it might be a little difficult to actually do
it. :)

--
-:-:- David K. Gasaway
-:-:- XNS  : =David K Gasaway