[vorbis] Vorbis Comment question

Segher Boessenkool segher at koffie.nl
Wed Mar 5 19:48:02 PST 2003

David K. Gasaway wrote:
> On 5 Mar 2003 at 4:33, Segher Boessenkool wrote:
>
>>True.  And it has been useful, and will be useful, until we get
>>a real metadata format.
>
> Do you truly feel there is a need for another format?

Yes.

 > Tags currently
> work quite well for me.  There must not be a huge demand for a "real"
> metadata format, or else there would be one by now, I think.

The real reason is probably that it is a really hard problem.

 > I might
> have started on one long ago, but I just don't see the motivation.
> Anyone care to clue me in? :)
>
> What are the limitations of the tag system that make it inappropriate
> as a metadata format?  What extra features would a new format provide?

More structure.  More data-types.  Much more formalism.
Metadata on the metadata.

> Vorbis comments were originally purposed for a "quick note" role.

Yes.

> However, if practice shows they are also useful in a general metadata
> role, then we've achieved something for nothing.

No.

> Not that I suggest that comments should be encrusted with rules for
> parsing's sake.

Exactly.

 > This thread started as a GEUSTARTIST suggestion, which
> is not an issue of parsability, nor is it oustide the bounds of the
> standard.

Sure not.  As a quick note, it's fine.  For any other use,
it's not.

Carsten did a fine job summarizing the problem in this week's
Ogg Traffic.