[vorbis] Vorbis Comment question

Nemo - earth native nemo at cheeky.house.cx
Wed Mar 5 20:20:23 PST 2003

On Thu, Mar 06, 2003 at 03:43:24PM +1300, John Morton did utter:
> > I had the impression that the Holy Metadata Format would allow such
> > things as lyrics/subtitles, etc (as in, show the metadata stream in
> > sync with the data) or some such.  There is probably only a slight
> > demand for that at the moment, but it's a case where tags fall short.
>
> Would it? Or would it be in it's own stream interleaved with the audio and
> video? How does the .vobs in DVDs do this stuff now? Is anyone developing
> something similar for Theora?

DVD subtitles are merely images (RLE encoded I believe) that are decoded
and overlaid on the video stream.

I recall hearing that theora would use the same basic idea, though by
implementing .mng as the image format in use.

(this information gleaned from my memory, placed there via months-old
googling. this is the disclaimer to that effect :)

.../nemo

--
/   "I only know as much about myself    \ /     === DISCLAIMER ===      \
--  as my mind can work out under it's  -- -- Use of advanced messaging --