[vorbis] Bit Rate Peeling Quality

Paul E public at ellisfoundation.com
Tue Jun 24 21:13:16 PDT 2003

I did a quick check and although q6 is a theoretical nominal of  192kbps
I was getting ~145kbps.  So even if you are getting 160kbps actual you
can fit a little less than 10 hours on one cd.  That is a significant
space savings vs. a vhs cassette.  You might really just want to backup
to a large external (or internal if you really want to) harddrive if you
have that much stuff and space is a concern.  Or you could use DVD+-R
media.  I've seen 4X drives below $200 USD lately, even lower for the ~2X.

>On a single video tape I can fit about eight hours of audio.  To put that
>on CD-ROM in lossless format would create more bulk than I'm saving,
>and even more so if I create a redundant copy for backup.  So it's not
>a question of cost but of space (as you hinted at earlier in your reply).

Paul
http://www.ellisfoundation.com/freemusic/