[vorbis] Bit Rate Peeling Quality

Brandon High armitage at freaks.com
Wed Jun 25 09:56:20 PDT 2003

On Wed, Jun 25, 2003 at 09:43:08AM +1200, J C Fitzgerald wrote:
> The sources I am talking of here are self-recorded audio on video and
> reel-to-reel tapes.  Unfortunately, the tapes are deteriorating and the
> equipment is or is becoming obsolete.  So it's a rescue effort.

I would recommend a lossless format for a new master then, just to be on
the safe side.

> On a single video tape I can fit about eight hours of audio.  To put that
> on CD-ROM in lossless format would create more bulk than I'm saving,
> and even more so if I create a redundant copy for backup.  So it's not
> a question of cost but of space (as you hinted at earlier in your reply).

Get a DVD burner. I fit about 12 hours of FLAC compressed audio on a
single DVD.

I didn't shop around, but a USB 2 burner and USB 2 controller cost me
about $300. The media is about $1.50/ea.

-B

Brandon High                                     armitage at freaks.com
'98 Kawi ZX-7R "Wasabi", '98 Kawi EX500 "Harlot", '02 BMW R1150RS "Troll"
Tampering with God's domain since 1974.