[vorbis] OGG versus MPEGplus (MPP), also known as .mpc, .mp+ or MusePack?

Jonathan ariakis at attbi.com
Tue Jun 17 08:28:55 PDT 2003

About audio quality stuff...

Vorbis is best tuned only up to q6, though Garf has done some extra tuning
up to q10.
MPC is designed for mid-to-high bitrates, and is able to acheive
transparency at around 180-200kbps.  Vorbis's practical place right now is
around 80-130 kbps, though from about 100-120 AAC is a major competitor.
Vorbis is also showing the most potential currently for streaming purposes,
but once AACplus is released, this could all change.  Since AAC can compete
with Vorbis around 100-120 kbps, imagine applying the same upgrade of mp3 ->
mp3Pro to current AAC.

About Musepack's patents... Despite all searches by the author and two
developers, they could actually come up with no patents specifically
applying to any Musepack technology.  In fact, the next version of the
encoders, SV8, will supposedly be completely opensource.

And, just merging with the spectral band replication topic... According to
Monty, Vorbis already has some sort of "noise normalization" that
accomplishes roughly the same thing as SBR would.  Reading
http://www.vorbis.com/ot/20030202.html#id2726611, Monty says the idea isn't
useful in Vorbis, because it's fundamentally different from MP3 (and AAC).

If you'd like more information and the actual testing that supports my
summary, I suggest you check out http://wwww.hydrogenaudio.org and search
around...

But, for the moment, MPC is considered superior to all other codecs around
the 180kbps bitrate.