[vorbis] Virgin Radio launches an Ogg stream

David Jones David.Jones at ginger.com
Mon Jun 30 01:19:35 PDT 2003

Hi Neil and Ross,

I can tell you that Ogg Vorbis streams for our other three services (Virgin
Radio Classic Rock, The Groove and Liquid) are all on the cards, and at the
moment I'm planning to have the Virgin Radio Classic Rock feed up and
running before the end of July.

As an aside, I'd be interested if anyone has any views on the differences
between darkice and ices as the encoder. We're currently using darkice,
because I have found a few places where people say it is more stable, but
I'd welcome views.

At the moment we are streaming two versions of our Virgin Radio Ogg service:
* 96kbps 44KHz 16bit stereo
* 32kbps 44KHz 16bit stereo

I think that the 32kbps stream would sound better in mono, but I haven't
worked out yet how to configure a single instance of the darkice encoder to
send out one stereo stream and one mono stream. My plan so far has to be use
the Virgin Radio Classic Rock encoder (once I have installed it) to play
around with both darkice and ices a bit more (we were keen to get the VR
stream up and running straight away), but if anyone has any knowledge on
this mono/stereo issue they'd be willing to share I'd be grateful!

Thanks

David

David Jones
Head of IT, Virgin Radio