[vorbis] Using oggenc

Tyler Knott vault-responce at charter.net
Wed Jun 25 10:27:50 PDT 2003

Bruce Park wrote:

> 1. How can I setup oggenc so that I can DIRECTLY rip tracks off my
> audio cd? As we all know, audio cd doens't really have a file format
> that we can directly use. Do I HAVE to convert them to wav files then
> convert them to ogg files?

Oggenc does not have a CD ripping funtion but if you are using Windows
you can use CDex(cdexos.sf.net).  To set it to rip Ogg Vorbis files goto
the Options menu and choose Settings.  Then goto the Encoder tab and
choose Ogg Vorbis DLL Encoder from the drop down list.  Under Encoder
Options be sure that On the fly Encoding is checked.  For bitrate
settings refer to the next answer.  If you want skip corrention turned
on then goto the CD Drive tab and select Paranoia, Full under the
ripping method drop down menu(this will make ripping non-scratched CDs a
little slower though, but not much).  To select your destination
directory goto the Filenames tab(click the ? button for help).  If you
use CDDB(or equivilent service) then CDex will automaticly add tags to
your files.

> 2. The options: -b -m -M with the bitrate of the audio file. If I set
> something with the '-b' option and also use the '-m' and '-M' option,
> for example 'oggenc -b 128 -m 64 -M 128 file.wav', how is this
> effected? Furthermore, how does the '-q' option come into role here?
> It says that it ranges from 0 to 10. I'm assuming that this is a
> preset quality controller that we can use to replace using the other
> three options that I previously mentioned. Is my assumption correct?

First: -b128 means that it should encode as close as it can to 128
kbps.  -m means that it should use at least 64 kbps and -M means that it
shouldn't go over 128 kbps.  -q is preferred to all of the above because
it uses as much or as little as it needs to achive the quality setting
you select(for example: when I ripped the soundtrack for Half-Life at
Quality 5(-q 5) the bitrates ranged from 112 kbps to 224 kbps).  And Ogg
Vorbis isn't just limited to useing birates that are multiples of 16: it
can use any bitrate at all(unlike MP3).  -q 3 is the default for
oggenc(and other Vorbis encoders) and achives around 128kbps MP3
quality.  Experiment with different quality settings to see which is a
good balance of file size and audio quality.  I would recomend you read
the Vorbis FAQ(http://www.vorbis.com/faq.psp) for more info on bitrates
and sound quality.