[vorbis] Bit Rate Peeling Quality

J C Fitzgerald v7022 at wave.co.nz
Sun Jun 22 00:53:42 PDT 2003

Hi All,

Let me ask this question of the group:  When bit rate peeling becomes
available, how will the quality of the peeled Vorbis file compare to a
file encoded at the target quality directly from the original?

So, for:

        a.wav --> b.ogg (at q6) --> c.ogg (at q2)

how are c.ogg and d.ogg likely to compare in terms of audio quality?

Also a related question (in terms of my proposed use):  Are there likely
to be any changes to the Vorbis codec which will cause problems doing
bit rate peeling in, say, four years time on a file encoded today with v1?

Any takers, or is all this too far into the future to make meaningful
comment on yet?

John.