[vorbis] New Member seeks advice.

X Zeusius xzeusius at yahoo.com
Fri Jun 20 13:47:15 PDT 2003

To Graham and Group,

I have read through your recommended intro. It is reasonably
understandable for a novice such as myself. I suspect it will behoove me
to read it again and again until I am more intimately familiar with
terminology. I am not ready for any tests or quizzes as of yet.

There are a total of 4 questions interspurced below. They are all I can
think of for now.

I have numbered them to help myself keep organized.

I have looked briefly at the Speex site and frankly there is no entry
point for me that I can readily discern as of yet. It just looks like one
link after link and my head is swimming.

1. If I am to use this Speex program, will I be required to understand it
from the ground up including all codes or;

2. Is there a known reliable service existing where I can convert my wav.
files quickly and make them publicly available in common user formats such
as Real Player or Windows Media?

I checked out the audio samples offered on the Speex site and they were
very good and likely adequate for my initial purposes. The samples played
back through my RealOne Player.

I better understand the concept of freeware now and I also am beginning to
more deeply appreciate the fact that others know much more about this than
I do. The wares may in fact be be free but practical implementation and
application may not be.

It took me years to understand the concepts and principles of multitrack
recording and Law. I am still learning to be sure, but the difference
between the first step and the result of many years of journeying and
trial and error are vast.

If I must absorb the Speex learning curve I have been presented with, it
seems prohibitive at best for my current needs.

3. If I am able to use this program, will I be storing the information
made available to others in my PC or is there some sort of a bank or
external source point I would be employing?

I guess what I am asking is this;

4. Does my PC become the server of the files I want to make available?

> > I will likely have some questions.
>
> You might also read my "introduction to compressed audio with Ogg
> Vorbis". I've tried to make it as non-technical as possible.  I know
> you're interested in getting something set up and working quickly rather
than getting bogged down with what's happening behind the scenes, but if
you're going to be streaming, it sometimes takes a little hand-tuning to
get the best sound quality at a given bitrate.  And it'd probably help to
have at least a  passing understanding of the terms people are using.

Do you Yahoo!?
http://sbc.yahoo.com