[vorbis] Spectrum duplication (2)

Headless head-less at dna.ie
Tue Jun 17 07:44:46 PDT 2003

Tuesday, June 17, 2003, 13:13, you wrote:

>> For me Ogg V1 equaled the performance of MP3Pro at low bitrates when I
>> compared some 70 sound samples. So imo there's nothing to fix.

> I wasn't talking about fixing, but about improving. It must always be a
> goal to improve the perceived quality per bit, as I see it :-).

Ogg would have to break backward compatibility with the V1 format, or
they would have to implement it in a MP3Pro like kludge fashion.
That's a very high price to pay.

>> AAC suffers for the same problem that MP3 suffers from, it's an old
>> format that isn't efficient enough by modern standards. Thus it
>> performed badly when compared to modern encoders, hence it needed a
>> similar sort of "fix" for it to remain competitive.

> I was under the impression that AAC was one of the "second generation"
> codecs. It's certainly much newer than mp3, and to the untrained
> listener such as myself, it sounds exactly similar to mp3 at say around
> 64kbit/sec, but much better than mp3 at the same bitrate.

I nearly fell over laughing when I tried AAC (using Liquifier Pro) at
low bitrates, WMA, MP3Pro and Ogg V1 all sound much, much better at low
bitrates.