[vorbis] Compression Artifacts at -q 5. Help!

Tyler Knott vault-responce at charter.net
Mon Jun 16 08:23:11 PDT 2003

>>Can it be done effectively enough to catch fidelity problems
>>more subtle than mine?  It's hard to predict the next bad compiler or
>>whether the Pentium V will have the same math error as the Pentium 60.
>>

>I'm afraid the answer is no.  The nature of lossy compression is just
>oggenc saying "this is the best I can do with the given parameters: what
>do you think?"

But wouldn't oggenc encode the exact same file the exact same way with
the exact same parameters every time? Couldn't we include a few test
files(10 to15 seconds, uncompressed, various sample rates/bits) with
some scripts to encode them and them compare the MD5sums to known good
copies?  Wouldn't this catch the vast majority of broken oggencs?