[vorbis] Buying Vorbis Music

Daniel Schregenberger npfdd at gmx.net
Thu Jun 5 13:05:23 PDT 2003

Hello,

I don't know if you knew that there's a russian site where you can buy your
music in Ogg Vorbis.

There are many albums where you can decide what Codec (MP3, AAC, WMA, Vorbis,
MP+) and Bitrate (or quality for Ogg) should be used to encode and download the
files encoded specifically for you.

The prices are somewhat low. Either by traffic (0.01$ per Megabyte) or by
monthly subscription (15$ per Month), allowing you to download up to 1000 songs
that month.

I tried it and encoded some songs using Q6 which results in what you can expect
from a Vorbis File at this quality.

The download speed is also not too bad: I had about 30-40KB/s.
Paying is done via VISA or Paypal (or others).

I'm not quite sure about how legal it is. The claim to have a contract with the
russian artists society (don't know the exact english word, in Germany it's the
GEMA, in Switzerland the SUISA) which will pay the artists some money (they do
this also for example when a national radio station sends a song (at least in
switzerland))) but for me the prices are too low to be legal (an entire album
at q6 is normally under 1$!!).

http://www.allofmp3.com/

-- Daniel