[vorbis] Re: Ogg Vorbis decoder system IP from FineArch Inc.

Stan Seibert volsung at mailsnare.net
Tue Jul 15 16:22:40 PDT 2003

On Tue, 2003-07-15 at 18:08, Christian HJ Wiesner wrote:
> Koichiro Miyazaki wrote:
> > Hello to all members of the Ogg Vorbis design team:
> > We, FineArch Inc., are pleased to announce that a hardware Ogg Vorbis
> > decoder system was completed and released to presses on July 15, 2003.
> > Koichiro Miyazaki
> > miyazaki at finearch.com
> > FineArch Inc. Tokyo, Japan
>
> Now, this is a big surprise ! Monty was working hard during the last
> months to make Vorbis decoding for NEUROS possible, and then out of the
> dark another company is launching a Vorbis capable, portable hardware
> device !!
>
> Any plans on when this player will be sold in Europe ? What will the
> actual selling price be about ?

Actually, if you read the press release, it says that the product they
are selling is hardware core (an integrated circuit design you can drop
into a custom ASIC) and control software for doing Vorbis decode.  This
is the kind of item a portable player company would purchase and
integrate with their Flash/HD/CD-ROM interface and other goodies to
produce a complete player for end users.

This is still exciting because it's these kind of hardware cores that
made it possible to make very small, low power, cheap MP3 players.
However, I suspect it will be some time before you'll be able to get
your hands on a device that uses this.

---
Stan Seibert