[vorbis] .ogg file extension for both audio and video?

Paul E public at ellisfoundation.com
Sat Jul 5 10:47:31 PDT 2003

lorenzo at princenet.sytes.net wrote:

>Actually, I feel that extensions should be ONLY for the user's benefit.  The operating system should NEVER depend
>entirely on nothing but the extension of a file on order to tell what it is like Windows does.  That being said,
>extensions are a good way for users to see what type of file they are looking at from a glance.  A file's extension
>should be standardized for the benefit of the people who will have such a file on their systems, but it should ONLY be
>for the user.  The operating system can see by a very simple calculation what type a file is and should NEVER rely on
>the last few letters of the file, which could be renamed or deleted entirely when a file is renamed.  Also, if a single
>user decides he/she wants to be different and use either non-standard extensions or none at all, he/she should have that
>right also, and the same apps should be able to open the file automatically from the file manager.
>
>					Lorenzo

File extensions really aren't bad.  They are certainly cross platform
compatible.  A file with .mp3 as the extension will get opened by iTunes
on Mac, WMP (ugh!) or Winamp on Windows, and XMMS on *nix's.  They don't
all need a specific program installed just to know what to use to play
the file.  People can change what extension they use, even on the evil
Windows.  You can make your own extensions and point it to any program
you want.  Using a certain set of extensions to represent what the file
is doesn't force people into using that setup.  It just makes it
convenient for the rest of us that aren't total mavericks.  Also, if I
name a file 01-blahblah.vorbismusic and it's not associated with
anything, I can still open it in Winamp.  The extension just identifies
the file to the user and the file manager.  It won't open in Winamp by
double clicking on it, but that's just because I didn't set it up that
way, but Winamp could still play it.

Paul