[vorbis] .ogg file extension for both audio and video?

Tom Felker tcfelker at mtco.com
Thu Jul 3 12:39:20 PDT 2003

On Thu, 2003-07-03 at 03:55, Carsten Orthbandt wrote:
> A "switcher" app doesn't solve the problem, though.
> As a user, I'd like to tell from the file extension
> if its audio or video. Using .ogg for both simply
> sucks, IMO. Baaad idea.
>
> Scenario: User installs ogg switcher app together
> with a vorbis player. There is no ogg video player
> around at the time. So although there is an associ-
> ated app for .ogg, there are .ogg files it can't
> play. Major drag. Most users will blame the ogg
> package of being unable to play its own files. And
> rightfully the will since this goes against the
> whole concept of file extensions, no matter how
> smart it was in the first place (I have yet to see
> something better, though).
>
> My 2ct...
>
> Carsten Orthbandt
> Founder + Development Director
> SEK SpieleEntwicklungsKombinat GmbH
> http://www.sek-ost.de
>
> Wenn ich Visionen habe, gehe ich zum Arzt. - Helmut Schmidt

Is it possible for Windows to form an association based on two
extensions, a la .tar.bz2?  If so, we could have something like .ogg or
.vorbis.ogg for Vorbis, .flac.ogg for OggFLAC, and similar for whatever
else.

I don't think extensions are dumb, but limiting them to three characters
was.  So were 8.3 filenames, drive letters and "\r\n", baggage Windows
keeps to this day.  Far far worse than extensions is "hide extensions
for known file types."

--
Tom Felker <tcfelker at mtco.com>