download xmcd crashed browser (was: [vorbis] Using oggenc)

Robert Woodcock rcw at debian.org
Tue Jul 1 22:10:58 PDT 2003

On Tue, Jul 01, 2003 at 01:48:38PM -0400, J.W. Harris wrote:
> Okay, I downloaded them as (
> http://lly.org/~rcw/abcde/abcde_2.0.3.orig.tar.gz ) and (
> http://lly.org/~rcw/cd-discid/cd-discid_0.8.orig.tar.gz ).

Note that I no longer maintain abcde - I've passed it on to Jesus Climent.
His latest versions are at http://www.hispalinux.es/~data/files/.

> Since abcde is a bash shell script, forget using it on a MS
> Windows computer unless you enjoy using CygWin.

*shudder* - no one's ever reported success with that :)

> According to the TODO file, Robert Woodcock plans to include FLAC
> support in the future.

Jesus Climent added that in version 2.1.3.

> Glendon, I don't know if either wget or abcde can work on
> SunOS 5.8.

It should work, although getting all the prerequisites compiled is no
picnic.

> (Checks...)  Okay, I guess SunOS 5.8 is Solaris 8, which
> means cd-discid will compile fine.  And there are versions
> of wget for Solaris 8.  I have no clue about abcde -- I
> don't know if abcde can run under a standard Bourne Shell,
> or if it needs BASH.

To the best of my knowledge, abcde is bashism-free and should work with any
POSIX /bin/sh.

Robert Woodcock - rcw at debian.org
"Recommending that children [...] not [...] use them as a weapon to hit
another person, could eliminate more than 40 per cent of backpack injuries"
	-- A Michigan hospital research team