download xmcd crashed browser (was: [vorbis] Using oggenc)

J.W. Harris index at cox.net
Tue Jul 1 10:48:38 PDT 2003

I've never tried xmcd, but have had good results with abcde.
Rips, encodes, names, and tags files automagically.  I have
never had a web browser crash (in the past several years)
while trying to download a file because I instead use wget
to download files.  Details below.

> Ti Kan wrote:
>
> > If you're using Linux or a UNIX flavor, try xmcd (
> > http://www.amb.org/xmcd ).
<SNIP/>

BTW, I have had good results with abcde -- it calls
cdparanoia to rip CDs and either lame (for mp3s) or oggenc
(for Ogg Vorbis files) to encode.  Once I got results with
abcde, I stopped looking for other rippers + encoders.  I
also had to install cd-discid so that abcde could look up
song titles and artists at freedb.org -- I think I
downloaded cd-discid from the same place I got abcde, but I
don't remember for sure.

(Checks command line history...)

Okay, I downloaded them as (
http://lly.org/~rcw/abcde/abcde_2.0.3.orig.tar.gz ) and (
http://lly.org/~rcw/cd-discid/cd-discid_0.8.orig.tar.gz ).
Since abcde is a bash shell script, forget using it on a MS
Windows computer unless you enjoy using CygWin.  According
to the TODO file, Robert Woodcock plans to include FLAC
support in the future.  According to the Makefile, cd-discid
assumes it will be compiled on a computer with gcc;
according to comments in the source, it has been ported from
Linux to Solaris, FreeBSD, OpenBSD, NetBSD, and MacOS X.  No
mention of MS Windows or CygWin, so MS Windows users are
probably out of luck.

On Thu, 26 Jun 2003, Glendon Gross wrote:

> I just tried to download the xmcd sources to version 3.2.0, and the download
> causes my browser to crash.  Is the source tarball available via FTP?
>
> I have built xmcd version 3.0 for NetBSD/i386 from the ports collection,
> and I like the interface, as well as the CDDB support, but version 3.0
> does not seem to support ripping or libvorbis, although I do have the
> vorbis libraries installed.
>
> Regards,
>
> Glendon Gross

Your NetBSD distro doesn't come with wget?

According to ( http://wuarchive.wustl.edu/mirrors/NetBSD/NetBSD-current/pkgsrc/net/wget/README.html )
'wget' is in the 'net' packages collection.

( http://www.gnu.org/software/wget/wget.html ) has an
introduction to wget.  Basically:

wget use HTTP, HTTPS, and FTP to retrieve files.  It is a
non-interactive command-line tool.  Features include:
  * Can resume aborted downloads, using REST and RANGE
  * Can use filename wild cards and recursively mirror directories
  * Optionally converts absolute links in downloaded documents to
    relative, so that downloaded documents may link to each other locally
  * Runs on most UNIX-like operating systems as well as Microsoft Windows
  * Supports HTTP cookies
  * Uses local file timestamps to determine whether documents need to
    be re-downloaded when mirroring

A more up-to-date online copy of the wget manual can be
found at ( http://space.tin.it/computer/hherold/wget.html ).

Glendon, I don't know if either wget or abcde can work on
SunOS 5.8.

(Checks...)  Okay, I guess SunOS 5.8 is Solaris 8, which
means cd-discid will compile fine.  And there are versions
of wget for Solaris 8.  I have no clue about abcde -- I
don't know if abcde can run under a standard Bourne Shell,
or if it needs BASH.

Okay, abcde is in the 'audio' packages collection on NetBSD,
so there you are set if you want to try it.

On Thu, 26 Jun 2003 09:52:43 -0700, hank <hanksmith4 at attbi.com> wrote:

(With regard to xmcd.)

> can you send it to me to
> my email is
> hank at hanksmith.net
> that address is going to my current address

Hank, MS Windows pre-compiled binaries of wget can be found
at ( ftp://sunsite.dk/projects/wget/windows/ ).  The latest
version seems to be (
ftp://ftp.sunsite.dk/projects/wget/windows/wget-1.8.2b.zip )
and you will also need (
ftp://ftp.sunsite.dk/projects/wget/windows/ssllibs-096-stable-snap-20020916.zip
) if you want to download from HTTPS urls rather than just
HTTP and FTP.

A MS-DOS pre-compiled port of wget seems to be available at
( http://www.rahul.net/dkaufman/ ).  Don't use the MS-DOS
version on a MS Windows box.

(I didn't even know until a few minutes ago that MS Windows
and MS DOS versions of wget were available, because any time
I have needed wget on a MS Windows box, I always installed
CygWin.)

Hank, if you're interested in using wget to download files
but need help, email me.

Back when I used MS Windows more than Linux, I had good
results using GetRight as a download manager, but I don't
know how well it would work with screen reader software.

Hank, does your screen reader software do synthesis in
software, or does it drive a hardware speech synthesizer?
Or do you have a Braille device connected to your computer?

--J.W. Harris