[vorbis] divide by zero and CVS version stability

Hauke Duden hdu at ashampoo.com
Tue Jul 15 07:06:01 PDT 2003

Hello everyone,

I recently stumbled upon an issue in the encoder of the v1.0 SDK. At the end
of each encoding session a divide by zero (D=0) happens in
bark_noise_hybridmp (psy.c:642). This causes a crash on Win9x systems (WinNT
seems to handle this fine by using infinite as the result). My encoding code
is almost identical to the encoder_example, so I'm reasonably sure that this
is not a problem on the calling side.

After finding this error I tried the current CVS snapshot version and it
seems to work fine. So I guess this is a known bug that has been fixed.

My question now is: can the current CVS version be considered stable? If
not, is there another post-1.0 version that I could use? I'm on a deadline
and am a bit reluctant to include the most recent (less tested) code in our
application. So it would be nice if you guys could help me sleep better by
telling me which code is save to use.

Also, if I use a more recent encoder, should I also use updated decoder/ogg
stuff or will the v1.0 libraries still be compatible?

Thank you for your time,

        Hauke Duden
        ashampoo Technology GmbH & Co. KG