[vorbis] Re: .ogg file extension for both audio and video?

ChristianHJW christian at matroska.org
Mon Jul 14 14:47:14 PDT 2003

Beni Cherniavsky wrote:

> At least
> because currently OGM only stores DivX, AFAIK.  Now somebody please
> correct my mistakes, I don't want to spread unchecked FUD :-)...

OGM can store any VCM codecs ( Video Codec Manager, the codec API from
VfW )in it, not only DivX. The was/is this done by copying the
BITMAPINFOHEADER and the VIDEOINFOHEADER structs as created/provided by
Video for Windows ( VfW ) into the Ogg file to be able to identify the
codecs/stream types. Same goes for audio like MP3, AC3, etc. ( ACM
codecs ), just that WAVEFORMATEX struct is stored.

This approach is nice on Windows/DirectShow, but not really x-platform,
the author of the OGMtools ( Moritz 'Mosu' Bunkus ) for Linux can sing a
song about that ....

Christian