[vorbis] .ogg file extension for both audio and video?

Beni Cherniavsky cben at techunix.technion.ac.il
Mon Jul 14 01:32:19 PDT 2003

Paul E wrote on 2003-07-13:

> One thing about NT/2k/XP is that you should use cmd and not command to
> get to the command prompt.  CMD is a lot more like a regular *nix
> terminal in how it works with the os.  You won't notice many differences
> from command but it is much more powerful.  I think they hang onto
> command.com for backwards compatibility.

I believe COMMAND on NT+ is still a dos executable, I doubt whether it
understands long file names at all (NT had no LFN API for dos
executables, 2k has one but is buggy AFAIK).  CMD is much better
indeed.  It's almost powerful now ;-).  Examples: CMD's pipes are real
pipe - all programs run at the same time, while COMMAND's pipes are
emulated with temp files; CMD has %* for all arguments; CMD has
special notations for substituting only the
drive/path/basename/extension of a variable; CMD has no 126-byte limit
on command-line length (I don't know what limit it does have);  CMD
has completion (needs registry settings).  Did I convince you yet?
``cmd /? | more`` will explain all these.

> Anyway, I tried renaming a file to and from multi-extension
> filenames and copying to and from multi-extension file names and it
> worked no problem at all in CMD and command.  The GUI and CLI can do
> it.  If there is a space in a file name you do need to surround it
> (the whole filename) with double quotes.

... and the programs will get the filename *with* the quotes.
Probably the single most idiotic design of a quoting mechanism I've
ever seen.  Never mind.  It does work.

> I still think .ogg and .ogm is fine though.  It's what is already used.
> Why turn the world on it's head?

`.ogg` will probably stay the single extension used for Vorbis
forever, no matter whether we like it or not.  I think we should
accept it but make different extensions for other Ogg formats.
`.ogm` is used for a format understood only by one set of filters and
used as a wrapper for codecs like DivX; it should not be used for
other things like Theora -- this would create even even more
confusion.  I think `.ogt` for Theora would be OK.  `.ogs` for Speex
and `.ogf` for FLAC would complete the set.  What do you think?

If I don't hack on it, who will?  And if I don't GPL it, what am I?
And if it itches, why not now?  [With apologies to Hilel ;]