[vorbis] .ogg file extension for both audio and video?

Paul E public at ellisfoundation.com
Sun Jul 13 14:23:58 PDT 2003

>>Windows (atleast my Win2k pro) can handle .vorbis.ogg.  I'd bet that XP
>>can too then.  I don't know about 9x though.  I still think the most
>>simple approach is best.  The KISS (keep it simple stupid) rule.
>>

>Really?  That hasn't been my experience at all.  I developed
>a website on my linux box but was forced to do some
>last-minute changes on a MS Win2k box.  The piece of crap
>choked on filenames with more than one dot.  The command
>line in MS Win2k is distinctly less capable than the one
>shipped with previous versions of MS Win NT.
>
>Or can the GUI File Explorer in MS Win2k handle multiple
>dots in filenames fine whereas only the command line chokes?
>
>Just remember that if you have more than one dot in a
>filename, you WILL have problems at the MS Win2k command
>line.

One thing about NT/2k/XP is that you should use cmd and not command to
get to the command prompt.  CMD is a lot more like a regular *nix
terminal in how it works with the os.  You won't notice many differences
from command but it is much more powerful.  I think they hang onto
command.com for backwards compatibility.  Anyway, I tried renaming a
file to and from multi-extension filenames and copying to and from
multi-extension file names and it worked no problem at all in CMD and
command.  The GUI and CLI can do it.  If there is a space in a file name
you do need to surround it (the whole filename) with double quotes.

I still think .ogg and .ogm is fine though.  It's what is already used.
Why turn the world on it's head?

Paul