[vorbis] vorbiscomment causes "Illegal UTF-8 sequence in comment"

Anosh Ullenius worm at linux.nu
Mon Jul 7 10:17:28 PDT 2003

Stan Seibert <volsung at mailsnare.net> wrote:

> --raw forces vorbiscomment to assume that whatever you are typing is
> already in UTF-8.  However, if you are trying to save these three
> characters, they will need to be converted to UTF-8.  Try repeating your
> test, but without the --raw option.

I've already tried that and it doesn't work. It only results in a hash ('#') instead of my character.

$ vorbiscomment -w -a test.ogg -t "test=¤" (the euro-sign)
$ ogginfo test.ogg
test=#

So I booted Windows to see if there was any difference with that version.

c:\> vorbiscomment -w -a test.ogg -t "test=¤" (euro-sign again)
c:\> ogginfo test.ogg
test=¤ (euro-sign)

No hash here. So I checked the file using the gnu/linux-version.

$ ogginfo /mnt/fat/---/test.ogg
test=EUR

So when using the Windows version of vorbiscomment I get a different result, I even tried using the input option (the -c switch) using the same file but the results were still different.

Is this a bug in vorbiscomment?