[vorbis] Flaming

Jonathan Walther krooger at debian.org
Fri Jul 4 10:01:36 PDT 2003

On Fri, Jul 04, 2003 at 11:26:29AM -0500, Graham Mitchell wrote:
>Most of the folks on the list don't care about such things, and I suspect many
>were silent in the discussions not because they agreed but because they were
>tired of getting a dozen arguing messages a day about TAGS, for goodness'
>sake, and were hoping it would all just go away.  I know I fall into that
>camp.

Of the people that posted, more people cared than didn't care.  I don't
think you can honestly speak for the silent majority.  Only those who
make themselves heard can have their opinions counted.  Otherwise it is
just guesswork.

>Segher and Jonathan, in particular, have had conflict about this.  (See
>http://www.xiph.org/archives/vorbis/200112/0154.html to start in the middle
>of a particularly nasty thread.)  Segher isn't known for being particularly
>diplomatic or circumspect even in normal situations, and with this one,
>there's so much ad-hominem attack in the past, he doesn't even bother trying
>to play nice anymore.

My first few posts to this list, almost two years ago, contained ad
hominem attacks, replying in kind to the flames I was getting.  I
quickly realized this wasn't a way to contribute toward a consensus, so
I stopped that behavior after a couple posts.

Segher has had almost two years to cool down. None of my recent posts
have contained ad hominem attacks.  The Segher/MusicBrainz connection is
a valid one, based on 2 years of observing his posts on this mailing
list, and on IRC.  Segher is not the only one who is actively opposed to the idea
of an Ogg Tag Standard; but he is the only one on the Ogg core team.

He may be correct that he didn't veto the Ogg Tag Recommendations being
linked from the Vorbis site, in which case I owe him an apology.  Sorry
Segher.  That then raises uncomfortable questions about Emmett Plant,
the one who originally told me Segher exercised a veto.

Jonathan

--

    It's not true unless it makes you laugh,
             but you don't understand it until it makes you weep.

                     Geek House Productions, Ltd.

Phone:   604-435-1205
Email:   djw at reactor-core.org
Webpage: http://reactor-core.org
Address: 2459 E 41st Ave, Vancouver, BC  V5R2W2