[vorbis] Flaming

Graham Mitchell graham at grahammitchell.com
Fri Jul 4 09:26:29 PDT 2003

> Things starting like this can quickly go downhill.

You don't know the half of it.

> Of course I don't like people pretending they know all
> about what other people think, but I also think you are reading a
> little too much into Mr. Walther's posts. I could be wrong of course

I don't know how long you've been reading the vorbis lists, but this isn't a
new argument.  Jonathan's first post about a call for a tag standard was his
second post to the vorbis list ever (as far as I can tell), way back in
October of 2001.
        http://www.xiph.org/archives/vorbis/200110/0049.html

Essentially he has created a lengthy tagging standard which suits his needs,
and sought to get the blessing of xiph.org to make it "official".  Through
long threads on the mailing list (in the dozens of posts per day, as you're
seeing here, but for weeks at a time), he and a small but vocal group of
interested individuals hashed out some details.  Therefore there *is* a sort
of consensus for the tagging standard as it now stands.

Most of the folks on the list don't care about such things, and I suspect many
were silent in the discussions not because they agreed but because they were
tired of getting a dozen arguing messages a day about TAGS, for goodness'
sake, and were hoping it would all just go away.  I know I fall into that
camp.

Segher and Jonathan, in particular, have had conflict about this.  (See
http://www.xiph.org/archives/vorbis/200112/0154.html to start in the middle
of a particularly nasty thread.)  Segher isn't known for being particularly
diplomatic or circumspect even in normal situations, and with this one,
there's so much ad-hominem attack in the past, he doesn't even bother trying
to play nice anymore.

--
Graham Mitchell - computer science teacher, Leander High School