[vorbis] .ogg file extension for both audio and video?

Paul E public at ellisfoundation.com
Thu Jul 3 14:49:04 PDT 2003

I've heard a lot of arguments on the "switcher" app concept.  I'd like
to just make two points.
1. The developers can do whatever they want, ogg is their baby.

2.  As a user I think having the same extension would be a catastrophic
event that would seriously hurt adoption of vorbis, flac, theora, and
other ogg media types.  Your average user can't comprehend that .ogg's
could be video, or audio, or both.  They understand .mp3 and .mpg
though.  Many users will actually call any compressed music file an mp3
and and video an mpg even if it's wmv, divx, xvid, or whatever.  Maybe
for those of us on the mailing list, sure we could handle having .ogg
contain video, audio, or whatever, but we are not the "mainstream".  And
if we want to see more portable vorbis players, or dvd/divx players that
can handle ogm's the "mainstream" needs to be able to handle it.  Also
even though "we" could probably handle using some switcher app, would
you want to?  What if you had to have a switcher app for tars that we
gzipped or not gzipped.  All the files would end in .tar without the .gz
no matter what.  Would that make sense?  I know it would drive me
crazy.  Granted in *nix OSes all you have to us is the -z argument to
unzip the file too, but you would have to try one way or the other
first, for no reason.

>Is it possible for Windows to form an association based on two
>extensions, a la .tar.bz2?  If so, we could have something like .ogg or
>.vorbis.ogg for Vorbis, .flac.ogg for OggFLAC, and similar for whatever
>else.

Windows (atleast my Win2k pro) can handle .vorbis.ogg.  I'd bet that XP
can too then.  I don't know about 9x though.  I still think the most
simple approach is best.  The KISS (keep it simple stupid) rule.

Sorry about the rant.  I just really think this is a crucial point for ogg.

Paul Ellis