[vorbis] .ogg file extension for both audio and video?

Cameron Patrick cameron at patrick.wattle.id.au
Thu Jul 3 15:02:49 PDT 2003

On Thu, Jul 03, 2003 at 02:49:04PM -0700, Paul E wrote:

| even if it's wmv, divx, xvid, or whatever

Aren't wmv, divx, xvid and a bunch of other formats all technically AVIs
anyway?

| Sorry about the rant.  I just really think this is a crucial point for ogg.

I'd rather see systems which identify files by their content rather than
the last few characters of their names, but since this isn't going to
happen any time soon, some way of differentiating between different
formats wrapped in ogg sounds sensible enough.

But what about when there are multiple codecs (e.g. Vorbis + Theora, or
Speex + Theora) inside one ogg file?  Do we call it a .ogg, a .vorbis, a
.theora or what?

Cameron.