[vorbis] Re: speaks acm vorbis download url?

ChristianHJW christian at matroska.org
Tue Jul 1 08:58:56 PDT 2003

Beni Cherniavsky wrote:
> ChristianHJW wrote on 2003-07-01:
>>Christian Buchner wrote:
>>>I may only offer CBR modes. Try losing sync with CBR.
>>/me is happy !! :-)
>>P.S. I am admin on one of the biggest Newbie support boards for video
>>stuff ( http://virtualdub.everwicked..com ), so this is REALLY good news
>>for me ...
>
> The downside is that CBR is lower quality which might get Ogg a bad
> name.  Since you are mixing with video which eats a lot of bandwidth
> anyway, perhaps it makes sense to not allow some of the lowest
> bitrates that Ogg can achieve, so people won't shoot themselves in the
> foot and then blame Vorbis...

I would assume that CBR Vorbis is still of higher quality than any other
MP3 CBR encoder available, at the same bitrate, so i dont think it could
get a 'bad name'.

Allowing a VBR ACM codec would definitely cause more problems with
respect to Vorbis getting a bad a name, as sync would get lost when
being used in AVIs, and the standard user would think its Vorbis' fault
as they hardly know what the ACM codec API and its limitations are ....

Another feasible solution would maybe be to offer both VBR and CBR modes
  in the ACM codec, and include a short text comment like ' - not for
use in AVI/video - ' in the VfW/ACM text descriptions in the GUI ( not
sure if its possible ) ..... of course, it has to be in there and not
only in the docs, because as we all know nobody cares to read them ;) ....

Christian