[vorbis] make lo-fi sound as good as RealAudio?

gtgbr at gmx.net gtgbr at gmx.net
Sat Jan 18 23:18:36 PST 2003

Derek at CD Baby wrote:
> oggenc -M 28 --downmix --resample 32000 -b 32
> #############################
>
> (I had written -b 24.  But for some reason -b 32 actually gets a smaller filesize than -b 24, AND sounds better.)

I just tested this, and I'll also add a correction to my previous mail:
-b > -M does NOT get ignored. I just tested it, and got a slightly
bigger filesize (25.9 kbps vs. 25.7 kbps) with -b 32 than without it,
contrary to what you got. I don't know if using a bigger -b than -M is a
good idea, though. It might sound better on a few tunes, but it might
also break many others. I'd suggest that you compare a few more songs
with those different settings (and use ogginfo to look what kinda .ogg
you actually get) ... I mean, you tell the encoder that it should pick a
quality level that it can average out at 32kbps and then you restrict it
to max. 28kbps. :-/