[vorbis] Ear damage by compressed audio?

Giuliano Pochini pochini at shiny.it
Tue Feb 18 00:41:28 PST 2003

>> I recently talked to a hearing-aid-technician and he said this idea of damage
>> by compressed audio is complete bullshit. He went as far as speculating it
>> would more likely be good for your ears. He essentialy said that even the
>> experts (and I consider him to be more of an expert thant this cyberyogi-guy)
>> don't know exactly how the ear works. Much things are still speculations and
>> guesses. Think about Tinnitus and things like that.
>>
>> -- Daniel
>
> I agree.  Something else to think about:  We stare at monitors, which
> have exactly three colors instead of a full spectrum. [...]

Since nobody knows exactly how the ear works you cannot say that compressed
audio do not damace your ears, too. Monitors are a different thing. It's not
true they can display only three colours, because each chromatic component
is not pure. Only some lasers can emit perfectly monochromatic light. btw,
retina cells cannot see the whole visible spectrum like the ears do. You
can only see three sub-bands of the spectrum.

Bye.