[vorbis] Ear damage by compressed audio?

Tom Felker tcfelker at mtco.com
Mon Feb 17 10:57:33 PST 2003

On Sun, 2003-02-16 at 07:42, Daniel Schregenberger wrote:
> Olaf Marzocchi wrote:
>
> > I don't know much about this topic, but have you seen those images? they
> > seems taken from a middle-school book!
> > And look at the signature!
>
> [snip]
>
> > Do you still believe in what he said?
> >
> > I don't.
> >
> > After all, is there someone who listens to music 15 hours a day? I think
> > it's enough to go out and walk 15 minutes in a park to solve every problem
> > compressed audio **could** produce.
>
> I recently talked to a hearing-aid-technician and he said this idea of damage
> by compressed audio is complete bullshit. He went as far as speculating it
> would more likely be good for your ears. He essentialy said that even the
> experts (and I consider him to be more of an expert thant this cyberyogi-guy)
> don't know exactly how the ear works. Much things are still speculations and
> guesses. Think about Tinnitus and things like that.
>
> -- Daniel

I agree.  Something else to think about:  We stare at monitors, which
have exactly three colors instead of a full spectrum.  Somehow, we're
not all blind because of it.  I think it's a similar phenomenon to audio
compression:  we can't tell the difference between red+green and yellow,
so yellow is thrown out.  Yet we can still see real yellow.

--
Tom Felker

There is a point where competitive aggressiveness must come under the
sway of
ethical standards not covered by law.