[vorbis] Transparent Video Codec

Corey Miller akheron at earthlink.net
Mon Feb 10 02:32:58 PST 2003

        I'm planning on building a media file server, from which I can host
media files to several set top boxes connect to my television.  My plan
is to have a huge collection of music and many emulated games, and
movies.  The idea is to just have a stripped down file server with a
large and hard drive, fast network connect.  So from any system in my
house I could have access to all of my media.  What I wanna be able to
do is play all of my media over the network.... and a lot more.  Have
it send the audio to a computer (or just have the server play it
itself) that would be plugged into my audio reciever so it would go
through my whole speaker system, and either play the movies on this or
yet again have another computer that would act as sort of a set top
box, just to play movies off of it, onto my TV (and through my speakers
of course :) .)  It also would be useful for doing something like
syncing for my portable players, like my laptop, so I could have a
portion of my media onhand wherever I go :)

        The reason I'm bringing this topic to this board, even though I know
it's offtopic, is because I need to store all of these media files, I
need to know which codecs to use for what purposes.  Since I'm for
various purposes I'm considering the use of many ogg related
technologies for the codec, I posted here because this was the most
general ogg list.  I apologize if I should have sent this somewhere
else, and if there is a better place for this message, please tell me
and I'll send it there.  I've decided to definitely encode my music
into the Ogg Vorbis format, and my audio books using speex.  Currently
I only have the budget for a single big hard drive, I was going to get
a 250 GB one.  (Later as my collection expands I'm going to add another
hard drive)  Due to this large hard drive capacity, I obviously can
sacrifice in many cases disk space for high quality.

        Since I have decided on the audio codecs to use for this project....
I will also need to store video, I want to be able to access any one of
my DVDs without actually having it on hand or having to put it in.  I
want to be able to store all the movies from my DVDs (hey! a legal use
for DVD ripping!) on that hard drive with the music.  I've done the
math and the listenning tests and with my hearing, -q 6.5 is close
enough to archive quality for me.  And with the large size of the music
collection I am building, I have decided to allocated about 50 GB of my
hard drive just to holding that music.  The videogame roms take up very
little space themselves, so I'm going to include their space on the
hard drive in that 50 GB, which leaves 200 GB just for movies.

        What I was wondering is if anyone could make comments or suggestions
on what I've said so far and help me with the video codec.  I really
want to have high enough quality video so it looks practically
transparent (identical to source).  Since 200GB will be dedicated to
these files, and my collection of DVDs is currently at about 26 and I
expect it to rise once I have finished this project, so I was hoping to
hold up to 50 full DVD size movies in this 200 gigabytes, which leaves
about 4GB a movie.  What codec would be best at compressing something
to about this size and having the highest quality outcome?  Could
Theora do this?  Would the old fashioned DivX AVI files be best?  Are
there any better codecs for this?  How could would Ogg Tarkin do at
this?  What I'm looking for is the best most modern codec that's good
at near transparent compression.  But, I'm pretty sure most compression
formats these days (like ogg vorbis, even though it's an audio codec.
for example) attempt to achieve the highest quality at low file sizes,
so the best quality to size ratio is achieved at lower qualities.  What
I need is something that could look spectacular in that file size range.

        I looked ALL over the tarkin list and I still can't find what sort of
compression to quality ratio it's expected to give or even an estimated
date for it to be at a decently workable and stable point in it's
development.  Tarkin, depending on what you guys say, is my top choice
at the moment for the video codec.  So I'd definitely like to know how
tarkin would do at compressing full DVD size movies to somewhere around
4 GB? Come to think of it, how big are standard uncompressed DVDs?  If
they're the size of most DVD-RAMs, 4.7GB, then I'd definitely not have
a problem, and could look for any nearly lossless video codec.  Being
4.7GB seems kind of unlikely to me, and I'm gonna guess 8.5 GB for a
standard commercial video DVD.  With the special features and audio not
on it, I'd guess it would be down to 7-7.5GB, which wouldn't be hard at
all to get down to about 4 GB.  As I was saying, all I really want is
the most modern and best way to compress video, make it a little
smaller but lose practically no quality.

        I'm working on making a great entertainment system and this would be
the center of it all.  Since I won't even have the place to put this
thing until maybe late July, I won't need to finish this project until
maybe late August.  My point is I do have time to wait for things like
Tarkin to be improved upon before my actual implementation of it.  But
I would really like to be able to decide on exactly what programs, file
formats, etc. I'm using right now.  If I could decide on those soon I
could begin writing all of the little apps and scripts I'm going to be
using for this.  Like a simple graphical program to select what you
want it to do, scripts for encoding all of my music and movies (things
to make it easier, like when I run the script, it would encode an
entire CD into Ogg Vorbis format, then eject that CD and ask me if I
wanted to stop or insert another CD, so I could make my collection in a
fast and troublefree manner.  Plus I was hoping to write some scripts
to see what are most popular songs at the time being and things like
that, then I would write something to sync it up to my laptop, and send
the maybe 200 most popular songs and and any other songs I specifically
ask it to to my laptop.  And a similar script that would encode into
MP3(until it get vorbis support!) the most popular songs and any I ask
for and send them to my nomad jukebox (this would take a while, the
kind thing I'd run overnight, heh).   But I've just been rambling on
about what I'm going to do, I should stop soon because all I really
need is info on the best video codec for my purposes and
comments/suggestions/criticism on my plans.  And if you think this is
completely offtopic, say so, and tell me where I should send my
question.  And for the love of god if your going to tell me it's
offtopic and not tell me where I should send it, make sure no one else
has done the same yet, the last thing we'd need is like 20 e-mails
comic in that just have "Offtopic" in the body, lol.

        Note--If during this e-mail I sound like my IQ is just above zero,
don't blame me, mainly because just above zero is a lot more sleep than
I've gotten tonight, and it's 5:20..... ugh, I need to be ready by
6:30.  Insomnia is not fun :(