[vorbis] MP3/Vorbis comparision

Carsten Haese chaese at accesstoledo.com
Sat Feb 8 21:12:32 PST 2003

Frank Grotelueschen wrote:
> In the last year in october, i have objected here the worse high frequencies
> response from ogg. It produces much too high frequencies at normal bitrates.
> Since then, i have not seen any improvement in the software. No new version
> was released since then. MP3 do not have this problem. I'am still using lame.
> My mail last year had started some discussion, but it ended with no result.

It's difficult to convey 'tone' in a written message, so I'm going to
give you the benefit of the doubt and assume that you didn't mean to
sound accusatory.

Your input is appreciated, and I'm sure the problem will be fixed once
Monty has time to look into it. Right now he doesn't have the time, as
he is busy with the Theora video codec project, and all the nitty gritty
framework details that come with that. Saying that the matter ended with
no result is assuming too much. There has been no resolution yet, but
the matter has not ended. It's just waiting for someone to get around to
fixing it.

If Vorbis is not good enough for you, so be it. You choose to use MP3
instead, and that is your right. Vorbis exists solely to provide an
open, patent-free alternative to MP3 and other proprietary audio codecs.
Whether it's better or worse than the proprietary formats is quite
secondary, but I (and a lot of other people) think that Vorbis happens
to rock.

I would like to take this opportunity to express my deepest gratitude to
Monty and the other coders for what they have produced so far.

Thanks for listening. Best regards,

Carsten Haese
Ogg Traffic Editor, Xiph.Org Foundation