[vorbis] Transparent Video Codec

Corey Miller akheron at earthlink.net
Sun Feb 16 23:27:37 PST 2003

oops, when I first sent this I accidentally sent it to the wrong
address, lol.  Sorry for the inconvenience, especially to the person I
first sent the message to, lol.

*NOTE: I am answering questions asqui asked in a private e-mail about
set top boxes.  Since it started with me talking about the use of ogg
in a set top box project, I am posting it here, and there is some very
relevant information I would like to discuss.  Since most of what I
could say about it is irrelevant to this board, I answered most of the
questions in this post, and will soon send another post that has the
information more relevant to vorbis.  Plus, asqui, horrible apologies
if for some reason you didn't want everyone to see this e-mail, I
should have asked first but it's 2 AM and I need sleep.

On Thursday, February 13, 2003, at 03:14 PM, asqui wrote:

> Hey there, unfortunately I don't really have an answer to your question
> about high quality video compression. Have you made any headway on this
> yet? I'm interested to hear an answer to that question too:)
> I just wanted to say that I'm in the process of making a similar
> "multimedia server" for use in conjunction with a TV and Hi-Fi system.
> What kind of hardware are you thinking of using? I'm exploring the
> Shuttle XPC (shuttle.com) and also mini-ITX form-factor systems
> (mini-itx.com). It doesn't really need to be that small because it will
> be on the ground next to a large bookcase/cabinet type thing which
> houses the TV and Hi-Fi separates, but I'm inclined to think that a
> smaller system will generate less heat and be quieter than a standard
> ATX system.
> What conclusions have you reached about multimedia hardware for
> "set-top
> box" applications?
>
> Dani
        Well, I've almost finished planning things out.  But a large majority
of the software I'll be using I haven't found anything with exactly
what I want, so I'm going to be writing it myself.  After planning out
what hardware to get, I've noticed how steep the price was getting, so
I decided, since chance are I won't be using my laptop while playing a
video game, or while watching a movie, and I can easily still use the
computer while it's doing something like playing music, so I was gonna
use my laptop which is my main computer right now to be the computer
being used as a set top box, also because it has really great s-video
output.
        For the media server (that's what I'm calling it, you called it a
"multimedia server", it's basically just a file server I'll be using
entirely for storing media files) I didn't care about the form factor,
and I didn't want it to be part of the set top box, since chances are
in the future I'll either build another set top box machine for my
other TV, I'll want to access my media quickly on all of my computers,
and since my main computer is a laptop, I wanted that to have quick
access to my music library, but not have put a big hard drive in it and
not have to lug around all of my music all the time.
        Using my laptop will avoid lots of the major problems you would have
with the actual designing of a set top box.  It's quiet, low power,
small, and cool looking (plus the built in LCD screen which does not
necessarily have to mirror to the s-video out can be a cool looking
second monitor, and provide a picture in picture like function (except
the picture would actually be outside of the picture, but still, lol.)
But since you probably wouldn't be following the same route I am I have
to say, set top box does not specifically mean a box sitting on top of
the TV.  So you don't even need to have it nearby, but since I would
assume you'd be using s-video or some other non-digital method of
getting video to the TV, you would like it fairly close so signal
degradation doesn't affect things.  What I would really suggest is
getting any case, any at all, and building the computer in that, or
putting any computer back there with enough power to decode video in
realtime.
        If your worried about the ambient sound emitted by this computer,
rather than trying for a smaller case I'd suggest one getting one of
those things (I forget what they are called) that controls fans, turns
them on and off as needed, or let's you control the fans manually.  The
sound of the hard drive whirring is not an issue because it shouldn't
need to spin during playback.  Either you should avoid using a hard
drive except to store the OS and media player programs on, and use only
DVDs and CDs for the media storage (if your OS is efficient, the
programs should be completely cached in RAM, so during playback the
hard drive won't need to do anything.)  Or you could follow my lead and
store everything on a separate computer on the network.  If you have
the money, and don't mind the limited sizes offered, there are also
many quieter hard drives and solid state drives that are completely
silent.  This leaves DVD and CD spinning the only issue.  I'm avoiding
this by not playing anything directly from it's disk, instead ripping
it to the hard drive first. Yet again you could have the player located
somewhere else, but that seems rather inconvenient.  Even having it
directly as part of your set top box if it's far away from you could be
a hassle.  If I wanted nice DVD/CD capabilities, I'd probably look for
the quietest or coolest running external DVD player.  Quiet would be
nice, but if you had one that generated next to no heat it wouldn't
harm it to enclose it in something to dampen the sound.
        So I've given advice on the case, the storage medium, and told you any
computer that's fast enough to decode movies (or whatever the most CPU
intensive thing you want this thing to do is) is fine, and RAM, well,
not really an issue, just enough so it won't have access the hard disk
during playback (With slower systems, it would be useful to be able to
cache a lot of the file being played in advance, but that's not too
important.)  The only thing left really as far as hardware goes I think
is the most important.  The quality of what actually shows up on the
screen.  Recently on 2CPU there was a great article comparing video
cards that included a comparison of their s-video out performance.
This article can be found at
http://www.2cpu.com/Hardware/video_roundup/ and the actual s-video
comparison can be found at
http://www.2cpu.com/Hardware/video_roundup/qualitative_2.html  if you
don't feel like reading the whole article, the Tyan Tachyon G9000 Pro
was rated as the best card for output to a TV.  I believe external scan
converters are much better at the task, but they are very expensive,
and I don't have any experience with them.
        And finally, I am making most of the software on my own, in a separate
post I'll probably mention exactly what I'm writing, and if you have
any interest in using any of my software, and if so, if you have any
features you'd like to see in it, feel free to tell me, but keep in
mind the software may not be finished until late summer.  If you'd
rather just download something, and have it run WELL, lol, I'd go with
movix at http://movix.sourceforge.net/