[vorbis] Which encoder ver to use?

Jonathan ariakis at comcast.net
Mon Aug 25 12:27:59 PDT 2003

The Garf-tuned encoding is expected under almost all circumstances to sound
better than the plain 1.0 or Post-1.0 CVS encoder versions.  Garf did
specific tuning on transient detection and coding, as well as better attack
detection... Also, on this note, Garf is planning to (in the next update, as
I understand) fix the quality scale to roughly match the Xiph encoder.  And
about muddying the water, we all hope it's only a matter of time until
Garf's tunings are merged into the main CVS, because as far as I know there
have been no samples which sounded worse with Garf's tunings, and it
improves quality on all samples I've ever tried ABXing. =)

Heh, I feel a bit strange being the unofficial spokesman for Garf... I just
hope I don't give out any wrong information... All I can reccomend on that
note is: trust your ears. =)  If you're looking for a difference, ABX it.

-Jonathan