[vorbis] re: Ogg doesn't measure up?!

noprivacy at earthlink.net noprivacy at earthlink.net
Tue Apr 15 13:02:38 PDT 2003

> soundquallity. And ofcurse a matter of software and hardware support.
> IMHO my format of choise is based on the above stated. Why would I use
> non free technology for sound compressing when everything else I use
is
> free (as in beer).

Yup...

MP3 caught on because it was decent and because there were *free*
encoders and decoders readily available.  (Lame, etc., plus MusicMatch,
and RealJukebox's free downloadable mp3 encoder.)

MP3Pro has *not* caught on because there aren't free encoders available.
And decoders are scarce.

Windows Media and Ogg both *might* really catch on because there are
free encoders and decoders for end users to actually use.

Unless they make AACPlus free for users, not too many people are going
to use it.  Most users don't like change, but when they do eventually
change, they are inclined to go with FREE.