[vorbis] what player for Mac OS 8/9?

Nathan I. Sharfi nisharfi at csupomona.edu
Fri Apr 4 09:27:04 PST 2003

On Fri, 4 Apr 2003, Sune Foldager wrote:

> This is a little bit early, but a friend of mine and I have started
> work on a new musicplayer (yet another ;-)) for Mac (OSX only though)
> that will be fully plugin configured as far as decoders and such go,
> and will of course support Vorbis out of the box. Other features
> include full music library with flexible options for when to import or
> when to just categorize externally (iTunes is not too cool in this
> respect), and a play-queue, indenpendent from the playlists (so you can
> interject songs). There are other features planned as well, many of
> them deriving from a similar program my friend wrote for Windows.

Cool. You /are/ planning on releasing it as free software, right? There are
plenty (read: 1, maybe more) proprietary ones out there; I already mentioned
Audion--MacAmp closed up shop and left an opaque binary with a nonfunctional
pair of registration codes.

The market for paid players has been nearly eradicated by iTunes, so if
you're expecting anything monetary that isn't coming from a tip jar, uh,
good luck. You'll need it.

but that's plenty of rambling from me on this...I'm just annoyed that if I
want to play audio, I need to go through Fink and xmms to do so. And I've
never really cared for xmms.

That said, if you are planning on releasing one under a free software
license (BSD/MIT/zlib/libpng preferred), let me know; it'll give me a reason
to learn how to parse stuff and perhaps I'll be able to bang out a
foobar2000-style tag parsing library.