[vorbis] New player for OSX (was: what player for Mac OS 8/9?)

Sune Foldager cryo at tiscali.dk
Fri Apr 4 12:24:00 PST 2003

On fredag, apr 4, 2003, at 19:27 Europe/Copenhagen, Nathan I. Sharfi
wrote:

> Cool. You /are/ planning on releasing it as free software, right?
> There are
> plenty (read: 1, maybe more) proprietary ones out there; I already
> mentioned
> Audion--MacAmp closed up shop and left an opaque binary with a
> nonfunctional
> pair of registration codes.

My friend is the main programmer (I am doing the playback and decode
etc.), but last time we discussed it he sounded like it was going to be
freeware. At any rate, it'll be shareware at most.

> The market for paid players has been nearly eradicated by iTunes, so if
> you're expecting anything monetary that isn't coming from a tip jar,
> uh,
> good luck. You'll need it.

Hehe yeah... we plan on making it better than iTunes though ;-). I
don't mean to bragg by saying that, but we feel there are some
shotcommings with iTunes (lack of a play queue, lack of vorbis support,
lack of easy plugin'ing etc.) and some of the others players out there
seem to focus more on cool looks than on usability and a feature rich
quality product. imho of course :-).

> if I
> want to play audio, I need to go through Fink and xmms to do so. And
> I've
> never really cared for xmms.

Me neither.. I don't think there are many good players for *nix either
:-/.

> That said, if you are planning on releasing one under a free software
> license (BSD/MIT/zlib/libpng preferred), let me know; it'll give me a
> reason
> to learn how to parse stuff and perhaps I'll be able to bang out a
> foobar2000-style tag parsing library.

Sure, I'll get back when I know something. We might put up a mailing
list to discuss features etc., but I didn't discuss this with my friend
(whose name is Allan Oddgaard by the way, I am getting tired of saying
"my friend" ;-)).

--
Sune.