[vorbis] what player for Mac OS 8/9?

Sune Foldager cryo at tiscali.dk
Fri Apr 4 06:32:57 PST 2003

On fredag, apr 4, 2003, at 16:12 Europe/Copenhagen, ndrw mchl grnbrg
wrote:

> Unfortunately, the iTunes plugin doesn't work very well. It's a
> Quicktime
> component, actually, and because of the amount of undocumented
> Quicktime
> features, the developers haven't been able to get it to play a file
> without buffering the entire thing. This makes it useless for streaming
> or opening files across a network, etc.

I have tried both the two plugins for iTunes (really QuickTime) that I
could find, and both have problems. I have several files that either
one or both simply refuse to import. It seems to have to do with
missing tags in the comment section. A few files that didn't import
missed the GENRE tag, while those who had it imported fine. It could be
a coincidence.

Add to that the other problems such as no play count and other iTune
features.

This is a little bit early, but a friend of mine and I have started
work on a new musicplayer (yet another ;-)) for Mac (OSX only though)
that will be fully plugin configured as far as decoders and such go,
and will of course support Vorbis out of the box. Other features
include full music library with flexible options for when to import or
when to just categorize externally (iTunes is not too cool in this
respect), and a play-queue, indenpendent from the playlists (so you can
interject songs). There are other features planned as well, many of
them deriving from a similar program my friend wrote for Windows.

> Is there an OS 9 version of MacAmp Lite? I'm pretty sure that has Ogg
> Vorbis support.

Yes, I use that one for my vorbis files, and I think it runs under OS9
also.

--
Sune Foldager
DIKU - Department of Computer Science,