[vorbis] How to fit Oggs in a specific amount of space?

Alejandro G. Belluscio baldusi at uol.com.ar
Tue Oct 22 14:26:30 PDT 2002

Hello Martin,
  I would try to run them through rehuff. You usually get a 10%
  reduction in file size without loosing any quality. The reason is
  that for encoding vorbis uses some Huffman codes. But since the
  codes must go in the header and the encoder doesn't knows what the
  output will be untill it finishes the file, vorbisenc uses some
  fixed codes that have an almost unmeasurable probability of being
  optimal. Rehuff simply reads the data, computes the optimal codes
  and resave the data using the new codes. Note that this is a
  looseless process.
  BTW, Seher, have you keep polishing rehuff? Will Xiph use it as an
  option for vorbisenc?

Best regards,
Alejandro Belluscio